Thursday, August 19, 2010

AVE = BIRD

The first illustration I made for AVE 'Proud Lorenza'
Lorenza at home (Dad says she's over 50 years old)


Birds are an important aspect of my work as they represent and symbolise many positive things in my life. I am a bird watcher and enjoy the way they dance with each other, the way they fly together, the way they sing amazing tunes and most importantly the way they nurture their babies and I take these as some of life's lessons.
My work for AVE is originally influenced by a particular bird called LORENZA. A green parrot who belongs to my grandma ToƱita's, she has been around longer than most of us, standing beautifully on her stick, singing, laughing, whistling and talking. Her big eyes always watching as she chewed on her favourite piece of corn.

I dedicate AVE to Lorenza and her bird friends for entertaining me as a child and for teaching me some lessons as an adult.

'the best things a mother can give her children are roots and wings' anon

x AVE Maria


1 comment:

  1. Ave! my grandfather owns one just like it! her name is "lora" and when somebody rings the doorbell she answers, "who´s there?" in Spanish! and says a few other words, she´s over 50 too!! my grandfather loves her and everyday he takes her out of her cage and puts her on a tree in the patio. She is so lovely and such a big part of the family now. It´s ridiculous how much we have in common!!

    ReplyDelete